Holy crap on a stick, I got the quilt top sewn and trimmed. It ended up being about 76″w x 90″h. It took me almost 4 hours to get all 7 rows sewn together and to trim down the quilt top. I. Am. Exhausted. And I need a bigger table to use for cutting.
Here’s top pre-trimming (I didn’t take one after I trimmed it):
Pardon the mess–I had to haul my machine and sewing paraphernalia downstairs to have enough room to sew it together and lay it out for pinning.
EDIT: Matt had a huge event tonight, and I got a little antsy waiting on him to come home, so I washed and dried the backing fabric in an effort to a) soften it up and b) make sure the dye won’t get all over the quilt top (there was a lot of dye in the cotton, and it’s still a little stiff). I also trimmed the selvedge off the sides–I shouldn’t have to trim the top and bottom as it should be longer than the quilt is tall.
An updated to-do list:
Finish assembling last 2 blocks Iron the last 10 blocks Lay out the batting and cut down for 29 blocks Lay down batting and cut down for 9 blocks Quilt 29 blocks Quilt 1 last block
- Iron the backing fabric/
trim selvedge. Assemble the quilt top (arrange into rows, sew rows together-just one left!) Press seams open on back of quilt top (use a lower temp!) and cut the corners down to reduce bulk. Trim and measure quilt topand cut/sew backing fabric as needed Buy clear thread
- Sew backing onto quilt
- Choose fabric for binding and buy it
- Assemble binding
- Sew on binding
- Collapse in relief