Progress report

So, I ran out of the Kona Snow to make my mother-in-law’s quilt. 😦 Bought an extra half-yard, and hopefully that will do it.

Mom decided on her pattern (she thinks) for her queen-size quilt. She wants the Dutch Garden Cornerstone pattern. So, as a note to me: for Mom’s falling charms, you could fit 7 of the 5″ squares on a jelly roll strip. You could fit 6 of the 7.5″ squares with one side of the white border on a jelly roll strip. You used 3.5 yds of the Kona Snow to make Mom’s falling charms, which was about 70″ x 77″. The final block size for the Cornerstone will be about 9.5″ x 9.5″.

For my aunt-in-law’s quilt, I got a lot done today. I cut out the batting and sewed it together. I cut out the backing and after a lot of cursing, managed to get half the quilting done. I’m doing a diamond pattern on hers as some of the blocks didn’t quuuite line up right and doing simple straight line would not have looked good. I just have to do the other diagonals across the quilt, and then I have to trim the batting and bind it.

But, bonus: I got 14 yards of fabric (the batting and backing for mom-in-law’s and aunt-in-law’s quilts, the half-yard of Kona Snow I needed, and a spool of navy blue thread) for $48 at JoAnn’s last weekend! Love their sales!

Advertisements

Two quilts!

I’ve made two quilts in the past few months: one that’s done for my new nephew, E, and another that’s about halfway done for my Nana.

E’s quilt used various nursery prints and solids from Jo-Ann’s, and used this pattern from Cluck, Cluck, Sew. I was a little disappointed in myself with this one; I made the strip sets, and before cutting them into blocks, pressed the seams to one side as always. But when I did this, I must not have pulled everything taut when I was pressing as the blocks ended up being different sizes, which led to a lot of alignment issues. But, knowing E’s mom, she won’t use this quilt anyway, so oh well.

 

Nana’s quilt is a simple patchwork squares quilt, done with this pattern in the interest of time. Since she was here at the end of October, I had her pick out fabrics. She picked five prints and a gorgeous red solid. I cut each square to be 4.75″ before sewing them together. I made blocks of four squares each, and made the quilt 8 blocks wide and 10 blocks high (so 16 squares wide and 20 squares tall). It’s roughly 68″ x 80″–I need to measure it once I’ve squared it up a bit.

I am really proud of myself with her quilt–the squares all line up really well, and the blocks are all lined up and square (with one slight exception). I finished the quilt top (and ironed it!) tonight, so all I have to do is sew the batting together and cut it to size, then cut the backing to size, press it, and quilt and bind. I have to get this done before Dec. 21st when we leave to go home.

Nana requested flannel batting in her quilt so it wouldn’t be too warm and heavy for her, so I won’t have to quilt very densely. I’m going to use the backing as the binding, too. I chose a solid dark navy blue as a) there’s not a lot of blue in the quilt and this will add some balance, and b) trying to match a print to the ones I’m already using would have been nigh on impossible (unless I spent a lot of money at the Quilting Post [where I got the fabrics for the top–the batting and backing came from Jo-Ann’s and was $20 with the Black Friday sales] as the quilt top fabric was about $60.) so I chose to use a solid instead.

It’s done!

I just finished the baby quilt today! It’s out of the wash, and it held together, which is always a bonus! I’ll post pictures of it soon when it’s daylight and I can get good shots. It ended up being a little small–only 35″x35″ with 3 blocks across and 3 blocks down.

If I make this pattern again, I’d make each square 5.5″ so they’re 5″ after sewing together, and make it at least 4 blocks across and 4 blocks down.